When it comes to home DIY projects, there are a lot of tools that you should have in your arsenal. One of them is the electric screwdriver. Gone are the days where we need to rely on elbow grease and manual screwdrivers. Here are some of the benefits that you get with an electric screwdriver:
- Easier on Hands – If you have a quick DIY project to carry out around the home then a manual screwdriver is going to be fine. However, if it is a fairly big project that you are carrying out, then you are going to find that a manual screwdriver is quite taxing on the hands. An electric screwdriver is much easier on the hands.
- Less Time Consuming – Again, if you have a small project to carry out then it isn’t going to take you very long with a manual screwdriver. For larger projects, however, an electric screwdriver is going to cut huge amounts of time off of the amount of time that it takes you to complete it.
- More Power – If you have tried to carry out larger home DIY projects before then it is likely that you are going to need to use longer screws and harder wood. The problem is that it can be really hard to drive these types of screws into the surface of wood. An electric screwdriver makes the whole process much easier.
These are just a couple of the examples of the benefits of electric screwdrivers. When it comes to choosing the right one for you, you will need to compare the different models on the market. This isn’t as easy as you think because there are a lot of them. In order to cut out some of the work for you, we have tested and reviewed some of the best cordless electric screwdrivers on the market. Please read on below for more information.
3. Makita DF001DW Electric Screwdriver
Features: 6w – 3.6v – ¼” Hex Drive – Forward & Reverse – 4Nm of Torque – LED Job Light – Lithium Ion Battery – 3-5 Hours Charge Time – 81 Piece Bit Set
- Really good 81 piece bit set has everything that you need.
- LED job light makes working in tight spaces with low light much easier.
- Performs forward and reverse functions so you can screw and unscrew.
- It takes a long time to charge, between 3-5 hours.
- It only has 4Nm of torque so it could be more powerful.
The first cordless electric screwdriver that we wanted to add to our list is this one from Makita. We have tested their tools before and always been really pleased with them, so we weren’t surprised when we were pleased with this screwdriver too. It is very lightweight and has a nice soft grip handle which makes one handed operation is no trouble at all.
One of the things that we were really impressed with is the 81 piece bit set that you get with your screwdriver. This set has every bit you could possibly need. When we tested out the drill we were first a little concerned about the charging time. At 3-5 hours, we felt that this was a little too long to achieve a full charge.
Whilst this electric screwdriver does have enough power for smaller projects, it is important to keep in mind that it only has 4Nm of torque, so there are definitely more powerful options on the market. One of the features that we really liked is the LED job light. This illuminated small areas really well so we were able to see things perfectly. Overall, we were really pleased with this electric screwdriver from Makita.
2. Ryobi CSD4130GN Electric Screwdriver
Features: 4v – Lithium Ion Battery – 5.3Nm of Torque – Forward & Reverse – LED Light – Quick Change Chuck – 30 Piece Bit Set
- Overmould switch and grip zone overmould technology make handling really nice.
- Plenty of torque settings to choose from.
- The weight of the screwdriver is well-balanced.
- Bits are sometimes hard to remove.
- Could be a little more powerful.
Next on our list is this electric screwdriver from Ryobi. We have always been impressed by Ryobi tools, so we knew that we would be pleased with their electric screwdriver too. First of all, we noticed how well-balanced the weight of the tool is. It is plenty light enough for one handed operation and the overmould technology makes handling this screwdriver no trouble at all.
The battery life is fairly reasonable for a tool within this price range and one thing that we really liked was the battery life indicator. We found this to be really helpful. With only 5.7Nm of torque, there are more powerful tools available, but this is plenty enough for most DIY projects.
One of the negative aspects that we did pick up on is that the bits can sometimes be a little difficult to remove. We weren’t sure if this was because it is a new device or if it is a design flaw but it is definitely something to keep in mind.
We found the variable torque to be hugely beneficial, especially for more fiddly jobs. Controlling the settings is no trouble at all and the 30 piece bit set is a nice extra touch. Overall, we liked this Ryobi electric screwdriver a lot.
1. Bosch Professional 06019A2171 Cordless Screwdriver – The Best Choice
Features: 3.6v – Lithium Ion Battery – 10Nm of Torque – 1/4” Hex Drive – LED Light – Variable Speed – 1 Hour Charge Time – Forward & Reverse
- 2 gears make driving into hardwood incredibly easy.
- LED light is very helpful in low light conditions.
- Exceptional battery life.
- 1 hour quick charge option is very efficient.
- Handling does take some getting used to but it just takes practice.
Number one on our list of the best electric screwdrivers is this model from Bosch. As any DIY enthusiast knows, Bosch is one of the leaders in tools. Needless to say, we were not disappointed with this one. The main thing that stood out for us with this one is how compact it is. It really is tiny. You could easily fit it into a tool belt or probably even your pocket if you have work trousers.
For such a small tool, we were really impressed with the amount of torque on offer here. With 10Nm, the torque is plenty powerful enough for all home DIY projects that require the use of an electric screwdriver. One thing that we definitely noticed is that the 2 gears really made light work of screwing into hard wood.
One of the only negative things that we can possibly say about this electric screwdriver is that handling it can take a little getting used to. However, with a bit of practice we had no trouble at all. The battery life of this electric screwdriver is fantastic and with the 1 hour quick charge option you are able to get it up and running in no time at all.
The final thing that we really liked is the built in LED light. We found this really helpful in tight spaces where we needed light. Overall, we feel that this is a fantastic option for anyone who wants an electric screwdriver for the home or the workplace.
We hope that you now have a much better idea of the electric screwdrivers that are available and which one is right for you.